Monday, 5 January 2015

Publishing Timeline

When I first started this writing project I set myself a goal of publishing in December or if not then January. We were leaving on a holiday on December 16th so that was effectively my deadline of first choice.

As the day drew nearer I was frantically working on the editing to try and meet that goal. I had given samples of the book to several people who had offered to proof read it for me. The feedback I was getting and my own growing convictions led me to decide not to publish in a rush before we left on holidays.

The more I worked on the book the more I was convinced that the first half is too slow. I needed to cut some of the story in the first half and try to increase the pace of the early parts of the book. This was not something I was going to have enough time to do in the last few days before leaving.

The feedback I was getting was mostly about grammar and wording improvements. This led to an extensive round of search and fix type editing to improve the readability of the prose. This was also something I was not going to be able to complete before leaving.

I took the decision not to publish in December. We left for seventeen days of holiday. I took a tablet so I could do some work on the story while away. Now I'm back and working on editing again. The restructuring and cutting to improve the pace is done. The search and fix editing for grammar is all done. I am working on two last rounds of 'read-through' editing then I intend to publish.

The 'read-through' editing is what I am calling the type of editing where I literally read through the story looking for issues and fix them. The reason I'm doing two rounds is that the first round is just me finding and fixing issues. The second round my wife has offered to read through with me, and we will fix as we go. I expect to complete the first round this week and hopefully complete the final round of editing by the end of the next week. so publication will probably be on the weekend or Monday 19th of January.

On a final note I am getting a bit excited about doing a few little maps to post here to share with anyone who wants to see them. So sometime in the week or so after I publish I will probably post a few maps here.

A.I.Marin

No comments:

Post a Comment