Monday, 23 February 2015

History Matters: Introduction

I write science fiction although there are probably elements of fantasy in there as well. I try to ground my story in plausible science. So why do I look at history?

The past informs the present and the present informs the future. Some trends in society and technology can only be understood when looking at a long time frame. So to project into the future requires a look at history. There's also that rather famous saying that has been paraphrased countless times by countless others:
'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'
George Santayana (1905) Reason in Common Sense, p. 284, volume 1 of The Life of Reason

History offers insights into a few compelling aspects of society:
  1. Social trends, changes in social norms can both influence and be influenced by technology, conflict and the environment. For any story about 'people' the social environment they live in is likely to be an important part of the story or essential background to it.
  2. Technology trends sometimes take a long time to show their true nature. For example the history of agriculture has had an impact on what kind of civilization the food production can support and on global warming, a trend that will impact our future for centuries to come.
  3. Warfare, while the technology of war has changed and will continue to change, the tactics and strategy that made a difference centuries ago are still relevant. Sun Tzu wrote about 500BC and his "Art of War" is still considered relevant for today's military leaders, political leaders and even business leaders. 
I plan on doing a series of posts on 'history matters' where I will share what I have researched to inform my writing. Stay tuned for the next post.

A.I.Marin.

No comments:

Post a Comment